Yes, I'm gay. I probably was since the day I was born. On my 21st birthday, I sort of had my debut. I came out to my parents. A little drama from mom, and some indifference from dad. An above-average coming out. Almost perfect.

Nine years later, two weeks before my 30th birthday, I found out... I'M HIV POSITIVE.

And so my story begins... I'm BACK IN THE CLOSET.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

You’ve Got AIDS!

You've Got AIDS!You can only imagine how hard it is to be told "You have AIDS". I don't think you'll know how you would react just until it happens to you. I myself couldn't imagine it... at least until it happened. Well, sort of. I wasn't told that I had AIDS, just that I had HIV. I don’t know if that's a big diff, though.

But okay, that’s settled. It is hard to be on the receiving end of a positive result. But how hard is it to tell someone he or she’s got AIDS? Is it easier? Is it harder? Hmmm.

Personally, I’d rather be on the receiving end of tragic news. I just don’t think I’m nurturing or sane enough to handle someone else’s depression, drama, regret, fury, fear, paranoia, and whatever else they may have. Not on a regular basis at least.

So I applaud the people who get to do the loathsome job of telling someone, “Hey, you’ve got AIDS!”

Only heaven knows if there’s any particularly good or effective way to break that kind of news. But I got one idea from The Family Guy animated series to do it. Take a look.



Dr. Hartman: I don't know how to tell you this, Mr. Devanney, so I'll let these guys do it.

Enter, Peter Griffin and the Barbershop Quartet

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You have AIDS! (Yes, you have AIDS)
I hate to tell you, boy
that you have AIDS! (You got the AIDS)

You may have caught it
When you stuck that filthy needle in here
Or maybe all that unprotected sex put you here
It isn't clear...

But what we're certain of is...
You have AIDS! (Yes, you have AIDS)
Not HIV, but full-blown AIDS!

Be sure that you see...
That this is not HIV

But full-blown AIDS!
Not HIV, but really...
full-blown AIDS!

I'm sorry, I wish it was something less serious
But it's AIDS
You've got the AIDS!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Okay, fine, so maybe that wasn’t the best idea. But you gotta admit, it would’ve been one hell of a show! But for now, when it comes to telling someone he’s got AIDS... I’ll just leave that to the experts.


Post-Script:
On a more serious note, of course, these days, AIDS and HIV aren't that much different. Not everyone who's been put under the AIDS list is on his or her deathbed. They can always recover and do better than the HIV-and-not-AIDS ones, and sometimes be even healthier than people who don't even have HIV! Yep, life can go on... for everyone! :-)

4 comments:

Trese said...

CD4 wise, I'm on AIDS level... right? Still am... but look... You saw me naman last June... I'm glowing. Alitaptap lang.

AIDS or HIV... as long as we take good care of our health, we have a loooooooong way to go.

Exhibit A: Shola!

But for some people that we do know, they have a different level of Pasaway-ness. Skipping meds in the past, having alcohol everyday, drama til now.

Be healthy, stay fit, look gorgeous... :)

PinoyPoz said...

And... THINK & BE POSITIVE! Dabah!

Fickle Cattle said...

I'm always amazed at the bravery of people who are positive. I was in the audience when Wanggo Gallaga announced to the public that he was positive (it was in Niccolo Cosme's photo exhibit that coincided, if i remember correctly, with World AIDS day). Powerful stuff. The silence of the crowd was palpable, but after the initial shock, there was only a general feeling of pride at witnessing such bravery in action.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i recently learned i was oh so positive. :/

oh well. play with the hand that life deals us right?

it's helpful to come across blogs like yours thankfully. helps newbies like us from spiraling into deep pits of super despair (sorry. just being dramatic).